Monday, May 02, 2005

Eyes

Question:
Although I love and watch every single episode of Desperate Housewives, Lost, 24 and even American Idol, I enjoy ABC's Eyes at a level I reached only during Melrose Place's crazy adventures. Since Eyes' ratings have been bad since it started and it's on a network with such hits as Housewives, Lost and Grey's Anatomy, is there any real hope for a second season? I believe that with a much stronger campaign this summer and a new time slot for fall, Eyes could become a hit. House's luck changed thanks to American Idol, Alias came to life because of Lost, and Grey's is in the winner's circle due to the fascinating Housewives. If ABC gives Eyes the chance it deserves and a much better night, it can avoid cancelation; don't you agree? — Eliza

Matt:
Welcome, readers, to the underdog of the week, Ask Matt's latest cause to rally around. (And not just because Eyes is being preempted this week by ABC News' American Idol exposé, and will sit out several more sweeps weeks because of the mega-finales of Alias and Lost.) Tell me your heart doesn't bleed when reading this from another fan named Matt (not a clone, I promise), who writes: "While I'm never surprised when a quality show fails to become a breakout hit, I'm a bit surprised about the general silence surrounding Eyes. It doesn't even seem to have reached 'cult' status. As a result, I've sort of been watching it as an 'enjoy it while it lasts' show. Does Eyes have any future? And why does nobody seem to care?"

Well, Matt, people do care. People like Anthony, who writes, "I feel lost, and not in the Lost way. Why does ABC feel the need to kick Eyes to the curb so suddenly? I feel like I'm having a Skin moment. Thirteen episodes turn into eight, and now into six? In all honesty, do you feel as though on May 11, we will see the last of Eyes for good? I'll be disappointed if ABC doesn't list Eyes on its schedule at the upfronts." Yeah, me too, but I'm getting prepared for the worst. ABC is on such a roll that it might not feel the need to nurture the show that, despite mostly terrific reviews, got off to the weakest start of any of its midseason dramas (Blind Justice started strongly, but has faded lately). It's a disappointment and a puzzlement, but what can I say to someone like Broc, who writes in to ask, "How worried should I be about Eyes?... I love Alias, but the darker it gets the more I appreciate what Eyes has to offer, and most nights I enjoy Eyes more. Is the 10 pm time slot hurting its chances? Will ABC give it another shot on a different night? From the writing to the acting, the show continues to deliver and it would be a shame to lose it amongst the hype for ABC's other successful shows." Agreed. Quick wrap-up to this longish discussion: I am worried about Eyes. If it isn't renewed, or given a shot to draw an audience in a more favorable time period, I hope we at least get to see the remaining episodes over the summer. (But be aware that ABC has just announced an aggressive summer lineup that doesn't leave much room for this sort of thing.)
Roush Review - [TV Guide Online]

No comments: