Monday, February 06, 2006

Don't Wait For Willow


Alyson Hannigan, who played Willow Rosenberg for seven years on the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, told SCI FI Wire that she occasionally hears rumors about proposed TV movies based on Buffy or its spinoff series, Angel, but doubts that creator Joss Whedon will ever get around to realizing a telefilm based on her character. "I don't know," Hannigan said in an interview while promoting her new film, the comedy Date Movie . "Yeah, it pops up every now and then, and I just don't know. I just treasure the experience. It was such a great, long chapter of my life."

Hannigan, who also co-stars on the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother , added: "I think I would just be too scared to sort of go back and possibly tarnish it in any way. Joss is too busy [to do a Willow movie]. He's not going to write it. He's not going to direct it, you know? I'm sure he would get great people, but there's nothing like the Joss touch. I think by all means they should absolutely do the Spike movie. I think that's the logical next step, but ... I don't think Willow is the next step."

It's actually yet to be determined if any kind of Buffy or Angel spinoff movie will come to pass. David Janollari, president of entertainment at what used to be The WB network, said last month that the network would welcome a movie based on James Marsters' Spike character, but echoed Hannigan's comments. At the recent Television Critics Association winter press tour, Janollari told reporters that Whedon may be too busy.

Whedon is planning to write and direct a big-screen version of Wonder Woman and is also known to be developing a supernatural film called Goners, casting further doubt on the likelihood of a Spike movie. Janollari's desire to air a Spike movie may be complicated by The WB's recently announced merger with UPN to create The CW, which came after Janollari made his comments in January.

For his part, Whedon has remained noncommittal about doing a Spike or other
Buffy spinoff movie, though he has expressed interest in doing one.

No comments: