Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gellar: Buffy Film Wouldn't Work


Sarah Michelle Gellar, who gained fame as TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, told SCI FI Wire that she doesn't think a big-screen version would work.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, from creator Joss Whedon, was itself a reboot of the flop 1992 movie of the same name that starred Kristy Swanson. "We had a lot to overcome on a TV show," Gellar said in an interview. "Everyone's like, 'Why would you do that?' So then to go back [to a movie] feels kind of hard."

Still, Gellar would not rule out returning to her most iconic role: "Never say never," she said.

"One of the reasons [the original Buffy movie] didn't really work on the big screen--and people blamed Kristy, but that's not what it was--is the story was better told over a long arc," Gellar said. "And I worry about Buffy as a 'beginning, middle and end' so quickly. ... You show me a script; you show me that it works, and you show me that [the] audience can accept that, [and] I'd probably be there. Those are what my hesitations are."

Gellar said she's still recognized internationally for the show, which aired on The WB and UPN from 1997 to 2003. "I was in Bali, and I kid you not, my cab driver called me Buffy," she said. "And, actually, I know it's on in South Africa."

No comments: